The Mercer Williams House was designed by New York architect John S. Norris for General Hugh W. Mercer, great grandfather of Johnny Mercer. Construction of the house began in 1860, was interrupted by the Civil War and was later completed, circa 1868, by the new owner, John Wilder. In 1969, Jim Williams, one of Savannah’s […]
What do Girl Scout Founder Juliette Gordon Low, Supreme Court Justice James Moore Wayne and Spanish-American War General W. W. Gordon, II have in common? Find out at the Juliette Gordon Low Birthplace, Savannah’s first National Historic Landmark, the setting for a remarkable family story woven through the history of the city, state and nation. […]
Devoted to the art of today, the contemporary Jepson Center links Telfair’s future with its past, unifying the museum’s three distinct sites. The building, designed by Moshe Safdie and opened to the public in 2006, features over 7,500 square feet of gallery space for major traveling exhibitions of contemporary art and installations of works from […]
Named after James Jackson, Old Fort Jackson is a beautifully preserved fort along the Savannah River, and is Georgia’s oldest standing brick fortification. Old Fort Jackson is a must-see National Historic Landmark offering weekend cannon firings year-round, and daily interactive programs scheduled March through October. Minutes away from Savannah’s Historic District, visitors of all ages […]
Visiting the Davenport House Museum is essential in experiencing the history of Savannah and its Historic preservation renaissance. Throughout its fifty-years plus history as a museum, the Davenport House Museum has striven to provide visitors with a true and vivid encounter with a uniquely Savannah story. Our Mission The mission of the Isaiah Davenport House […]
Welcome to the Cathedral of St. John the Baptist. Our parish is rich with history and filled with spirit. We are passionate about our faith and invite all Catholics and more to celebrate the Liturgy with us. We are dedicated to enriching the spiritual lives of our parishioners as well as giving back to our […]
About the House Andrew Low commissioned New York architect John Norris to design and construct his house in 1848. Norris came to Savannah to design the Custom House on Bay Street and remained in Savannah to build many desirable residences with the latest in technology and luxury.