Fishing on Tybee Island
Well known for its calm sea conditions, Tybee Island is a great place for the experienced or novice fisherman to try their luck at catching “the big one!” Even if you are just bringing your rod and reel out to the beach to enjoy a fun day of surf fishing, chances are you won’t leave Savannah’s Beach with an empty cooler.
There are three public piers for fishing; Lazaretto Creek pier, Fisherman’s Walk on the back river, or the Tybee Pier and Pavilion. You can also try your luck from the beach or off the beaten path at some of the creeks, bridges, and tidal pools.
The most common species caught are red drum, black drum, whiting, croaker, stingrays, speckled trout, flounder, Spanish mackerel, sheepshead, as well as many species of sharks.
Fishing Licence Information
Fresh Water, Salt Water, and some Deep Sea fish require fishing permits/licenses to catch, as well as, catch limits. For information on these guidelines, license pricing and information, contact the local fisheries Law Enforcement branch by phone at: (912)727-2111
Anglers age 16 and older must have a current Georgia fishing license in their possession while fishing in fresh or salt water in Georgia. Additionally, a free SIP is required to fish in saltwater. A temporary authorization number obtained by telephone or internet sale may be used for seven days until the paper copy is received or printed. Conservation Rangers may require photo identification when checking fishing licenses.
For purchase locations or to buy your license online click here.
Telephone | 1.800.366.2661 (M-F from 8 a.m. – 8 p.m. and S-S from 9 a.m. – 5 p.m.)
Fishing Licence Cost:
- Proof of residence, such as a Georgia driver’s license, is required when purchasing a fishing license.
- Resident anglers, 16 – 64 years of age are required to have a current Georgia fishing license in their possession while fishing in freshwater and saltwater in Georgia.
- Residents 65 years of age or older may fish with the Senior (65+) Lifetime License. This license can be obtained at no cost from license dealers by furnishing proof of age (Georgia driver’s license, birth certificate, etc.).
- Residents that are permanently and totally disabled may obtain a Disability Honorary Combination Hunting & Fishing License by applying to the License Unit. Proof of disability must accompany the application. Proof of disability may come from the U.S.. Department of Veterans Affairs, Social Security Administration, Railroad Retirement System, or another government agency.
- Those that are blind can apply for a Lifetime Honorary Fishing License and must provide a Physician’s certification of blindness with the application.
Note: Georgia DNR has Agreements with Alabama, Florida, North Carolina, and South Carolina that allow holders of Georgia fishing licenses to fish in the waters covered without obtaining a fishing license from the bordering state.
- Nonresidents under 16 years of age do not require a fishing or trout license.
- Nonresidents 16 years or older, regardless of physical condition, must have a current nonresident Georgia fishing license to fish in Georgia, except in private ponds.
- Florida residents 65 years of age or older.
- College students (US citizens) enrolled full-time who are residing Georgia may purchase a resident fishing license. A current student I.D.. must be shown when purchasing a resident fishing license.
- Military persons on active status stationed at a military base in Georgia and their immediate family members may purchase a resident fishing license. This includes full-time military personnel on active duty who list Georgia as their home of record in their official military file (with documented proof). A current military I.D.. and verifiable proof of being stationed at a Georgia military installation must be shown when purchasing a resident fishing license.
- Any violation of Georgia fishing laws or regulations can cause revocation of license.
Licences can be purchased at:
To purchase fishing license online: CLICK HERE
Islands Ace Hardware
318 JOHNNY MERCER BLVD
SAVANNAH, GA 31410
211 BUTLER AVE
TYBEE ISLAND, GA 31328
Tybee Island, GA 31328
Bait and Tackle Shops
Stewart’s Tybee Island Bait and Tackle
4-F Old Highway 80